By Tiffany Williams –
Friday night at Polar Park, one last Friday night in downtown Worcester for the WooSox for their 2022 season and what a way to do it by playing the Syracuse Mets in front of 8,193 fans. Unfortunately the Worcester Red Sox did not get the win in this one and will take a 5-4 loss.
Dominic Smith got the Syracuse Mets on top early with his fourteenth homer of the season to drive in Jake Mangum to make it a 2-0 game. But in the bottom of the first Worcester would make this a 2-2 ballgame with Ronaldo Hernandez hitting a homer to drive in Nick Sogard.
Top of the second Syracuse made this a 3-2 game with Carlos Rincon making it over the plate.
Bottom of the fourth Jaylin Davis hit a single to make this a 3-3 game, hitting a single to drive in Johan Mieses, and in the bottom of the fifth Jarren Duran stole home for the second time in just over a week to make this a 3-4 game.
At the top of the sixth Syracuse made this a 5-4 game with both Carlos Rincon and Deven Marrero making it over the plate.
Last week on September 13th Nathan Eovaldi threw three innings of live batting practice and Red Sox manager Alex Cora said “Now we’ll just have to wait and see how he reacts to it and we’ll decide what we’re going to do.” Cora also indicated that Eovaldi could make a rehab start in the minors. Well, during Thursday night’s game the WooSox confirmed that Eovaldi would be starting Friday night. Eovaldi threw 57 pitches in three innings, allowing 3 hits and three runs. After his start Eovaldi took a minute to speak with the media in the clubhouse and said, “I felt good coming in, I was excited to be back out there and being able to go out there and compete.”
The Worcester Red Sox and the Syracuse Mets will meet again Saturday for game five of this six-game homestand. To split this homestand, Worcester needs to win both Saturday and Sunday.
WooSox “Fan Appreciation Week/Weekend” from Saturday through Sunday afternoon vs. the Syracuse Mets includes:
Saturday at the Park, 4:05 p.m.
– Pre-game from 2:00 – 2:45 p.m. it will be “On-Field Photo Day” as fans will be invited on the warning track to take selfies with their favorite WooSox players as they circle the outfield grass.
– Saturday post-game is another popular “Sunset Catch” on the field for all fans presented by Dunkin’.
Fallon Health Family Funday Sunday, 1:05 p.m.
– The WooSox home finale, presented by Bank of America. Fans will receive a 2022 WooSox Team Photo as they enter the park and from 11:00 – 11:45 a.m., fans can go on the field for autographs from the team who will be seated at tables around the warning track.
– In pre-game ceremonies, the town of Auburn will be presented with a trophy and a championship banner for producing the highest turnout during nearly 20 “Town Takeovers” at Polar Park this season.
– After the game, players will sign soft baseballs and toss them into the stands.
– Furthermore, lucky fans selected at random during the game will return to the field as players give them “the shirts off their backs”.
– Once that is done, “Kids (young and old) Run the Bases” sponsored by HP Hood. – And finally, fans can play catch into the night on the outfield grass to cap off our final “Fallon Health Family Funday Sunday”. Thank you WooSox fans!