By Tiffany Williams –
On Sunday the Worcester Red Sox wrapped up their final road trip to Moosic, PA for the 2022 season with a 3-2 win against the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (AAA-New York Yankees). Going into this game, Worcester needed this win to stay above .500 on the year.
Ronald Guzman opened this game up in the bottom of the first with his 23rd double for the season to help get Blake Perkins over the plate for the RailRiders to take a 01 lead.
At the top of the third, Bobby Dalbec extended his home run streak to three in this series to make this a 1-1 ballgame.
After a scoreless fourth and fifth, at the top of the sixth Bobby Dalbec hit his second homer of the game to extend his home run streak in this series to four and make it a 2-1 ballgame. Ryan Fitzgearld helped to make this a 3-1 ballgame at the top of third hitting his 24th double of the season to drive in Ronaldo Hernandez.
In the bottom of the bottom of the sixth, the RailRiders made this a 3-2 ballgame with Chad Bell making it over the plate.
Following Sunday’s game the Worcester Red Sox will return home to Polar Park in downtown Worcester for their final homestand of the 2022 season. Worcester will host the Syracuse Mets at Polar Park from Tuesday night, September 20 – Sunday afternoon, September 25.
The Worcester Red Sox are calling their final homestand “Fan Appreciation Week” and the WooSox say that it will include the following:
“Take Two Tuesday,” 6:45 p.m.
– Fans get to take two WooSox ’22 photo retrospectives for free tonight! One features the five walk-off victories the WooSox have had this season and the other commemorates Worcester’s no-hitter vs. Durham on August 4 at Polar Park.
– The WooSox will also play as Los Wepas de Worcester in their final Wepas game of 2022 as we salute Central America and our Latinx fans.
“Give-A-Wednesday,” 6:45 p.m.
– The first 5,000 fans will receive a bobblehead of Smiley Ball, the loveable WooSox mascot.
– Wednesday is also “First Responder Wednesday” (four free tickets for first responders compliments of National Grid).
“WooU College Night,” Thursday, 6:45 p.m.
– Special deals for college students including the “Student 2-3-4” deal ($2 French Fries, $3 hot dogs, and $4 burgers). College students who have joined WooU can receive a 10% discount at the WooSox Team Store.
– Thursday is also “Greek Night” which will be a preview of “Heritage Nights” that will take place at Polar Park throughout the 2023 season.
Friday Night “UniBank Fireworks”, 6:45 p.m.
– In special pre-game ceremonies, the WooSox will “Pass the Puck” to their neighbors in sports as we wish the Worcester Railers the best for their 2022-2023 hockey season.
– Post-game “UniBank Fireworks” set to a Hollywood music medley featuring favorite movie themes.
Saturday at the Park, 4:05 p.m.
– Pre-game from 2:00 – 2:45 p.m. it will be “On-Field Photo Day” as fans will be invited on the warning track to take selfies with their favorite WooSox players as they circle the outfield grass.
– Saturday post-game is another popular “Sunset Catch” on the field for all fans presented by Dunkin’.
Fallon Health Family Funday Sunday, 1:05 p.m.
– The WooSox home finale, presented by Bank of America. Fans will receive a 2022 WooSox Team Photo as they enter the park and from 11:00 – 11:45 a.m., fans can go on the field for autographs from the team who will be seated at tables around the warning track.
– In pre-game ceremonies, the town of Auburn will be presented with a trophy and a championship banner for producing the highest turnout during nearly 20 “Town Takeovers” at Polar Park this season.
– After the game, players will sign soft baseballs and toss them into the stands.
– Furthermore, lucky fans selected at random during the game will return to the field as players give them “the shirts off their backs”.
– Once that is done, “Kids (young and old) Run the Bases” sponsored by HP Hood.
– And finally, fans can play catch into the night on the outfield grass to cap off our final “Fallon Health Family Funday Sunday”. Thank you WooSox fans!
In addition to all of this, various WooSox players will appear pre-game on September 21, 22, and 23 in the Sherwood’s Diner on Summit Street behind the Polar Park outfield to meet fans and sign autographs from 5-5:45 p.m. Details on which players will be appearing will be announced in the coming days.
And finally, on Monday, September 26 while the WooSox play in Rochester, NY, Polar Park will host a charity baseball game between Worcester Police Officers and Worcester Fire Fighters. Presented by Country Bank, tickets are just $10 for the inaugural “Police vs. Fire Baseball Classic at Polar Park” with all ticket proceeds to benefit the Manny 267 Foundation in honor of late Worcester police officer Manny Familia.