Lifeguard Attacked At Bell Pond Beach

By Michael Figueroa –

Sunday night, officers with the Worcester Police Department were dispatched to the area of Bell Pond for a report of a lifeguard being attacked.

Upon arrival officers located a male, 17, who had been stabbed. He was transported to an area hospital to be treated and Worcester Police say thet his injuries do not appear to be life threatening.

It is important to note that upon locating the victim, officers rendered medical attention to the victim as they are trained to do and often in many incidents need to as they arrive sooner than Fire or EMS.

A preliminary investigation determined that a group of individuals who were drinking and smoking at the park were advised to stop or they would need to leave. The group did leave however on individual who was acting in an aggressive and threatening  mannaer returned to to the park with four other individuals and attacked the victim.

Prior to the arrival of officers, this male and the individuals with him fled the area. Officers were able to BOLO information about the male and the individuals citywide to other officers.

Eventually the male was located in the area of Wilson St. and after a foot pursuit was taken into custody. This male has been identified by Worcester Police as Celestine Bigirimana, 22, of Everett Gaylord Blvd, and he has been charged with Assault and Battery with a Dangerous Weapon, Disturbing the Peace, Disorderly Conduct, Trespassing, Resisting Arrest, and Possession of an Open Container of Alcohol.

Officers in the area of East Park on Shrewsbury Street, eventually located the other three individuals that were with Bigirimana. Worcester Police has identified one of these males as Mohamed Abdullahi, 19, of Stubbin St., he was placed under arrest and has been charged with Assault and Battery with a Dangerous Weapon and Disturbing the Peace.

A second individual was a juvenile, they arrested and charged with Assault and Battery with a Dangerous Weapon, Disorderly Conduct, and Disturbing the Peace. 

The third individual was detained by officers but then released.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s